Beautiful parks for

your wedding ceremony

Happy Easter

from Parks

Free Music in your local park!

Frequently asked questions

Park maintenance

I am worried about a tree on Council controlled property, what can I do about it?

Please contact Council, who will have an officer inspect the tree and surrounding area.  Don’t attempt to do any work on the tree yourself.  If the tree you are concerned about is on Council controlled public property and you live north of the Nerang River please phone (07) 5581 7967, or south of the river please phone (07) 5581 7814.  

Note: if you require a tree on Council land removed, a tree removal form must be completed.  The form is available online or contact the above numbers for a form to be mailed to you.

If you are concerned about a tree on private property you can contact (07) 5582 8688.  

If a park, sports field or garden bed looks untidy, whom do I  contact?
Gold Coast Parks are maintained by Council on a regular basis.  However, if a park needs attention contact Parks Maintenance Services for the following areas:

  • north of the Nerang River (07) 5581 7967
  • south of the Nerang River (07) 5581 7814

Will Council mow my naturestrip?
Naturestrip maintenance are the responsibility of the resident.  Written requests are considered, however, to assist residents who can demonstrate financial, economic or medical hardship.
If play equipment or shade structures need to be repaired who do I call?

Please contact Parks Maintenance Services for the following areas: 

  • north of the Nerang River (07) 5581 7967
  • south of the Nerang River (07) 5581 7814

Who do I contact for other enquiries?

Building Maintenance look after the following, and can be contacted on (07) 5581 7905. 

  • Graffiti on Council property
  • BBQ/hot water not working
  • Lights in parks not working
  • Leaking taps/showers in parks or beach
  • Damaged picnic facilities
  • Damaged irrigation


Flying foxes

Can I have flying foxes removed from my local area?

Gold Coast City Council is reluctant to impact flying foxes (fruit bats) through habitat disturbance such as tree removal. The mitigation of flying foxes in parks is regulated under State and Commonwealth legislation. Council is not authorised to issue permits for mitigation or take action itself without approval from State and/or Commonwealth agencies. Permits are rarely approved.

For more information on flying foxes, download the Flying fox fact sheet (132kb).

Park naming

Naming a park or community facility after an individual or familyA request will be considered for naming a park or community facility after an individual or family where a person or family member is deceased and:

1.    is widely known and respected within the local community
2.    has a recognised historical link with the locality or is generally acknowledged as having made a significant contribution to the social, economic, sporting or cultural development of the community
3.    is of good repute and not likely to be the subject of controversy
4.    the nominated person has widespread community support

Note: Under special circumstances consideration will be given to a living person where the naming is deemed to be in accordance with points 1, 2 and 3 above and the recognition is considered appropriate by Council.

A family who is nominated should have made a significant contribution to the community over two or more generations.

Click here to read a fantastic article by Dwayne Grant of the Gold Coast Bulletin, about the special meaning park naming and dedications have to the community.

Naming a community facility after a community organisation or service club

The naming of a facility after a community group/service club is not the favoured option, unless the organisation or service club has made, or is committed to making, a significant contribution to the development and improvement of the facility.  Such names must include a geographic component to distinguish it (e.g. Runaway Bay Lions Park).

An alternative may be to install suitable inscriptions/plaques to acknowledge the contribution of the group/club or the facility generally, or to specific projects or structures.

Renaming of a facility

The renaming of a facility will only be considered if it can be demonstrated that the name is no longer appropriate in historical or geographical terms or is likely to cause distress to members of the community.

Placing of plaques

The placing of memorial plaques in honour of persons in parks, or on infrastructure, will not be supported. Council will permit memorial tree plantings (exclusive of plaques) to occur, subject to Council’s direction with respect to species and location.

Naming application process

Applicants must submit a written supporting statement for the nominee/s.  This must be supported by a minimum of three (3) third parties, one of whom must be a community group.  Documentation must be validated by Statutory Declaration and signed by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Declarations.

Applications will be given careful consideration (including discussion with the Divisional Councillor) prior to being presented to Council for its consideration and decision.

The proposal to name the park or facility should be advertised with signage, at or on, the property or facility for public comment for twenty-one days (21) prior to the presentation of a report to Council for its consideration.

All requests for naming a park/facility should be put in writing and sent to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Gold Coast City Council
PO Box 5042
Gold Coast Mail Centre 9729 


The National Public Toilet Map

The National Public Toilet Map shows the location of more than 16,000 public and private public toilet facilities across Australia. 

Useful information is provided about each toilet, such as location, opening hours, availability of baby change rooms, accessibility for people with disabilities and the details of other nearby toilets.

Please visit


Park finder
SIGN UP AND WIN Active and health banner